Hearty and delicious.
- Source: America's Test Kitchen Cookbook
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Serves: 4
- Difficulty: medium
- Salt: as needed
- Egg noodles: 8 oz.
- Unsalted butter: 3 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil: 2 tablespoons
- White button mushrooms trimmed and halved: 12 oz.
- Ground beef: 12 oz.
- Pepper: as needed
- Dry red wine: 3/4 cup
- Minced onion: 1
- Brown sugar: 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Tomato paste: 1 teaspoon
- All-purpose flour: 1 tablespoon
- Chicken broth: 1/2 cup
- Sour cream: 1/3 cup
- Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add one tablespoon of salt and the noodles and cook. Stirring often until they're almost tender but still firm to bite. Drain the noodles, then return the pot and toss with 2 tablespoons of butter. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in 12 inch skillet over medium high heat until simmering. Add the mushrooms and one quarter teaspoon salt and cook until lightly browned, about five minutes, then transfer to a bowl.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and return to medium high heat until just smoking. Brown the beef, about five minutes, then transfer to the bowl with the mushrooms.
- Add 1/4 cup of wine to skillet and return to medium heat. Simmer, scraping up any browned bits until syrupy. about one minute. Transfer the wine to the bowl with the mushrooms
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat. Add the onion, brown sugar, and tomato paste and cook until the onion is lightly browned, about five minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute. Whisk in the broth and remaining 1/2 cup wine and simmer until thickened, about two minutes.
- At any accumulated juices from the mushrooms and beef. Stir in about half a cup of the sauce into the sour cream, then stir the sour cream mixture into the sauce. Add the mushrooms and beef and let it warm through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over the warm buttered egg noodles.