A lovely blend of sweet and savory which goes well over rice.
- Source: America's Test Kitchen Cookbook
- Prep time: 19 min
- Cook time: 11 min
- Serves: 4
- Difficulty: easy
- Soy sauce: 1/2 cup
- Sugar: 1/2 cup
- Sherry: 2 tablespoons
- Grated ginger: 2 teaspoons
- Minced garlic: 1 clove
- Cornstarch: 2 teaspoons
- Red pepper flakes: 1/8 teaspoon
- Ground beef: 2 pounds
- Pepper: as needed
- Vegetable oil: 2 teaspoons
- Whisk the soy sauce, sugar, sherry, ginger, garlic, cornstarch, and red pepper flakes together and set aside.
- Season the ground beef with pepper then set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Brown half of the meat, about five minutes, then transfer it to a clean bowl. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and meat.
- Briefly whisk the soy sauce mixture to recombine, then add to the skillet. Simmer, scraping up any browned bits, until thickened, about two minutes.
- Returned to meet with any accumulated jeans to the skillet and toss to warm through.