Steak With Red Wine Sauce
Delicious and juicy!
- Source: America's Test Kitchen Cookbook
- Prep time: 17 min
- Cook time: 13 min
- Serves: 4
- Difficulty: medium
- Trimmed steaks: 4 8 ounce
- Salt and Pepper: as needed
- vegetable oil: 2 tablespoon
- minced shallot: 1
- chicken broth: 3/4 cup
- dry red wine: 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar: 2 teaspoons
- unsalted butter cut into three pieces: 3 tablespoons
- fresh minced thyme: 1 teaspoon
- For the steaks- Pat the steaks dry with paper towels, this season with salt and Pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown steaks on the first side, about four minutes.
- Flip the steaks over and continue to cook to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a clean plate, tent with foil, and let rest for five minutes.
- For the sauce- Meanwhile, add the oil to the skillet and return it to medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the shallots and cook until softened, About two minutes. Stir in the broth, wine, and brown sugar, scraping up any brown bits and simmer until thickened, about five minutes.
- Stir in any accumulated meat juice. Turn the heat to low and whisk in the butter, one piece at a time. Off the heat, stirring the time and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the sauce over the steaks before serving.