Sherry Braised Beef Short Ribs
Delicious and they fall right off of the bone.
- Source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/237320/sherry-braised-beef-short-ribs/
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 2 hr 35 min
- Serves: 8
- Difficulty: medium
- Bacon: 4 slices
- Beef short ribs: 3 1/2 lbs.
- Fresh thyme, leaves stripped: 6 sprigs
- Bay leaf: 1
- Diced onion: 1
- Minced garlic: 3 cloves
- All purpose flour: 2 Tbsp
- Dry sherry: 1 cup
- Beef broth: 1 qt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer crisped bacon with a slotted spoon to a Dutch oven. Retain bacon drippings in the skillet.
- Generously season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat bacon drippings in the same skillet over high heat. Cook short ribs in hot bacon fat until browned and caramelized on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer ribs to the Dutch oven, reserving drippings in the skillet. Add thyme and bay leaf to the ribs mixture.
- Reduce heat under the same skillet to medium. Cook and stir onion in the skillet until soft and golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk flour into onion mixture and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and light golden brown, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Pour sherry into onion mixture; cook until thick and hot, about 2 minutes. Pour onion-sherry mixture into Dutch oven; add beef broth and salt to taste. Bring ribs mixture to a simmer and cover the Dutch oven with a lid.
- Transfer Dutch oven to the preheated oven and cook until short ribs are fork tender, about 2 hours. Remove ribs to a serving dish, reserving sauce in the pot.
- Set Dutch oven high heat and boil sauce until reduced and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Spoon reduced sauce over ribs.